Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Tactic: Waiting to post

It used to be that when I started a session I'd just jump in immediately. However, I've switched to waiting for the BB to come around to me instead for the following reasons:


  • I felt that my posted BB was being targeted by the aggros out there. Not that it is a terrible tactic in and of itself but the way for me to combat it is to wait so there are no extra chips out there to attack.
  • Patience. When I was in my big downswing early in the challenge I realized that I was not being disciplined enough. So in order for me to get myself in the frame of mind of waiting for good hands I started waiting to post so that I can ease into the game instead of jump starting the session with immediate action.
  • Gives me time to open up multiple tables. When I used to post straight away I would have a very busy screen because windows would keep popping up when I was trying to sit down at other tables. Waiting to post gives me plenty of time to get my workspace configured before the hands start rolling in.
  • Time to observe the table. If there is an aggro donk at the table, you'll get a chance to pick him out before you play a hand against him.
If you are only playing a couple full ring tables then maybe you'd rather post than have to wait that long for a hand but I've been pleased with the results of switching to waiting. FTP even has a preference item that allows you to wait to post by default so all I have to do is sit down and buy in then the window will come forward when the blinds hit me and I have a hand. Maybe waiting will work for you, maybe it won't, just something to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment