Monday, March 15, 2010

Mistakes + suckouts = bankroll damage

The bad news is that the last session was disastrous on the bankroll. The good news is that I know what I did wrong which is much better than not knowing why chips are going the wrong way.

#62 Session started out strong with a big win on hand 62 where I tripled up a fat buy in when I flopped top set of aces and they held through all streets.

#125 Raised pre with AAQQss in clubs and got 40% of my stack in before an all diamond flop comes out. The pot is bigger than my remaining stack and I shove it in there with no flush and no set leaving me with runner runner outs to win at best if I am up against a made flush. Not sure what the numbers are here but it seems like I could have gotten the same information with a smaller bet and saved myself some money. Or, I could have just check/folded to a potential bluff or a made flush. Just bad board texture that I don't need to go after.

#142 For some reason I was going crazy with top pair of aces no redraw and ran into second set.

#252 Marginal stack off with KKxx on a 666 T 9 board. I was only behind quads, AAxx, tens full, and nines full and sure enough I found tens full.

#791 I violated the pot and stop rule after flopping trip fives. Stack off to the flopped queens full without boating up.

#904 Get stacked when I am betting the nut flush and happy to be getting action until I noticed the board is paired. Duh.

The rest of the major losses were people catching two outers to my aces and one underset of sevens.

All told the session cost me $5.24 to the green line. The mistakes cost me about half of that. Ironically I feel good about the session in that I can pinpoint exactly what went wrong and where. I'm also still above the $200 mark thanks to the padding I had built up. The session took a terrible toll on my trailing averages as I knew it would but keeping tabs of those numbers helps me to keep focused on what I need to do in order to drive the bankroll up. This was the proverbial wake up call to make sure that I don't get complaisant about the play of hands and that I need to stay sharp to avoid mistakes.


1 comment:

  1. I have not quite figured out the best way to play hand 125, I think bet fold is probably ideal. Smaller bet preferred.

    Hand 252, check call on river.

    791 u figured out on your own.

    ReplyDelete