Wednesday, March 10, 2010

HOTD: Whoops...I mean...Yeah!

I am in the SB with A8KKss, a hand that I definitely want to see a flop with but I'm not going to go crazy with having run KKxx into AAxx with a frighteningly high level of frequency. UTG folds then hijack pots it to .07. OK, that's cool I'm in so I go to click the "call .07" button and move on to the other tables asking for my attention. By the time the action is back on me I'm first to act and I flopped top set but with a straight possible. I decide to just play conservative and check. Hijack seat makes it .74 to go, whoa, what? How did this pot get so big? Cutoff player repots and that easily has me covered. I re-check the board and realize that KJ8 does not make a straight possible so I'm sitting on the current nuts. I commit another .42 to the middle of the pot and we're all in going into the last two streets which come blank and blank so I triple up. Reviewing the hand later I can see that the cutoff re-potted the hijack seat and I must have clicked the "call xx" button the instant after it changed to .24 instead of .07. As it turns out the re-potter had AA33ss and I was a distant second place in the hand pre-flop. Hijack had AQTT and flopped an open ender. Better to be lucky than good I suppose. It turned out OK but I'm pretty sure that flat calling 1/3 of your stack in that situation is the wrong play.

1 comment:

  1. yeah, KKxx plays horribly against AAxx, low runs and double suited hands are much better. Little luck never hurt anyone.

    ReplyDelete