Tuesday, March 2, 2010

HOTD: Premium starting hand

It only took a few tens of thousands of hands but I finally ran across AKAQds in the BB. Three limpers ahead of me and I decide I finally run across a hand that is good enough to pot it with so I make it .10. Three callers, great. Flop is 358 rainbow and I open the flop betting by putting the remaining .29 of my stack in the middle. Get called by 65T4 who landed an open ender and not surprisingly the guy who flopped top set decides to call (just call) as well. I go from a 45% pre-flop favorite down to a 6% dog after the flop. 4d on the turn brings me up to 19% as it is one of my runners to a backdoor flush. Bet and a call for the side pot. I'm trying to coax a non-pairing, non-straight flush diamond out of the deck so I suggest to the screen that a Jd come out on 5th street. Poker karma gods say "You have excellent pre-flop hand selection, bummer about the flop but we'll give this one to you." Jack of diamonds materializes on the river and I drag the main pot. Premium starting hands really do work!

No comments:

Post a Comment