Friday, March 26, 2010

Tactic: Betting the draw, checking the flush

Full stack for me and I get AK75 with A5 in diamonds. Limps around, I check my option, and four of us go to the flop. Which comes 984 two diamonds. SB checks, I pot it to .08 which isolates me and the cutoff.  2d on the turn and I check so that villain can either bet his flush or rep it but he checks back. Qd on the river and I put out a stabby looking half pot bet. Villain pots which is enough to put me in and I snap call. He shows 9d7dxx and was presumably checking the turn to see if the board pairs. I give him credit for being astute enough that I am pretty sure he wasn't trying to "slow play" his flush. I also do not think he would have gone broke if I had checked the flop and only started betting or check/raising after the flush got there though there are plenty of players out there who would stack off with any flush. In this case he actually had a hand but I've also pulled off the same maneuver when villain bets with complete air. There is some risk involved with giving a free card but if villain doesn't raise on the flop it is unlikely he has a set though a boat on the river may come from a running two pair.

No comments:

Post a Comment