Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Tactic: Pot and stop

In previous posts I've mentioned the term "pot and stop" which is the term I use for the tactic of potting a relatively small pot once if I am the one opening betting then bailing on the hand if I get any heat whatsoever without improving. This is what I use for trap hands which are strong but not worth going to the mat with. Some examples of where I would do this include:

  • Hitting bottom two or top and bottom on a relatively dry flop
  • Sucker end of a straight
  • Bottom set
  • Non-nut flush
  • Trips but not a boat
  • Flush on a paired board
  • Flopping three pair
  • Set with a straight or flush possible
I used to get too invested in these types of hands but there's a reason why they call them trap hands because they seem like they are good and in Hold'em they often are but in Omaha they just lose way too often to play them to the hilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment