Tuesday, March 9, 2010

HOTD: Boat, boat, quads

I limp in with JJ99ss to go set mining. Five to a flop of 676. Checks around, cool, free card. Three on the turn, checks around again. 9 on the river, hey, this must be my lucky day. Pot sized bet from SB, raise from cutoff. I'm on the button and smell something terribly wrong going on. Someone clearly was slow playing something. Maybe one of these donks thinks their straight is good but not both of them. I do a quick scan of my chip stack and I'm sitting over my standard buy in of .70 and think to myself that this is going to be high variance. In an effort to "control" the pot I just flat call the raise hoping that one or both of these guys has to realize that not all three of us could have it. But SB min-raises, cutoff re-pots, and I am just not good enough to fold top boat. Heck I'm not even good enough to fold bottom boat yet. So in goes the money. By the time the dust settles the cutoff shows 6622ss for the flopped quads. The idiot UTG guy who doesn't realize how vulnerable he was had 9877ss for the flopped overboat and is now in third place. I wish SB had defended his hand so I could get out. As is it was the most costly hand of the session for me. Well the read was correct but I just can't get away from that hand nor should I, I don't think. Just a cooler.

3 comments:

  1. I suppose the 4th raise means he has it. I don't know if I have ever thought about folding top boat but 3 handed with all action on the river and the 4th raise means trouble. Don't know how much it was for you to call the 4th raise but if it was over a 1/2 size pot bet might consider folding. Definitely a cooler though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never folding here, and I'm 3bet shoving the turn all day. Running into quads is a cooler but there are too many 67xx, 77xx, 69xx, 8Txx, and random 6s out there to fold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, by the time it got back around to me it was .35 to me getting about 5:1. Obviously BOTH of them couldn't have me beat but with everyone springing to life on the end I was fully expecting to lose the hand to one of them. I agree that there are just too many donks out there going broke with a straight that I have to call based on stack sizes. Fortunately I wasn't so deep that I couldn't not call but it's nice to know the radar is functioning correctly at least. The donk with 77766 should have slowed down after getting potted and cold called but meh, what are you going to do?

    ReplyDelete