Saturday, March 20, 2010

HOTD: Trips misplayed

My big blind special is 9642ss. The four way flop is T99 rainbow. SB bets pot into it for 08 and I'm stuck. What to do. Don't get invested in BB hands doesn't even cross my mind. Pot and stop comes to mind but really applies more to being first to the pot. I proceed anyway to  re-pot and commit half my stack. Fold, fold, and they shoves. So what am I beating here? Not much based on that action. I could hope that he has a 9 with three kickers all lower than a 6. Maybe the board will run high and we can chop. For some reason I go ahead and put in the other half of my stack fully expecting to be drawing thin and/or dead. Villain turns over J855 for two outs to fives full and a gutter straight. Turn, jack (ick). River, 8. I have to admit that takes guts/idiocy to reshove for the rest of your stack with only .08 invested after a guy re-pots you clearly repping a 9. I should have not gotten in that deep at all yet I escaped with the pot. Terrible play on my part which ended up working out though I am definitely not taking this hand as positive reinforcement that I should stack off in that situation because the vast majority of the time that is spewing chips.

In retrospect I think the right line would have been to min-raise OOP then dump the hand after getting more pressure. I think the min-raise actually sells more strength than a re-pot. If he were stabbing then he'd have to release. If he has it (or at least willing to rep it) then I'm getting re-raised and I can dump my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment