Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The slide continues

Not exactly shaping up to be a banner day at this point. It all began with a raise before the flop, then a re-raise...no wait, that's something else. If I did have to pick on moment where the slide began it would be when a guy showed his blush bluff with a naked ace of hearts on an all heart flop. I called two streets with a set which ended up being good. I was just kicking myself for playing it poorly. I should have either gotten all my money in or folded after missing the turn. As is I took the worst possible line and just flat called the flop and turn then folded leaving myself a small amount behind. For the size of the pot I only had to be right once every however many times but I just felt it was too possible that he would turn over some junky flush and I'd be kicking myself for that. It wasn't so much the bluff but just that the idiot felt that we were folding worse flushes because he had the ace of hearts.

So then I faced some coolers like having the underset of queens against a set of aces in the blinds. People were catching gutters on me. Villain's draws would get there and I'd punish him by throwing my chips at him so he can see what he sucked out against. After enough of that then I started going total aggro and tried pushing ridiculous things through like QQ on a king high flop. And down goes the bankroll in a self-perpetuating spiral. The only bright spots were that it was for penny stakes and that I was only about 2/3 play bad with 1/3 run bad as shown in the EV chart below.

I have to admit that after dumping off a chunk at .02/.05 then getting it back at the .01/.02 over the weekend it occurred to me that if I lose a bunch at .01/.02 then an option to get it back would be...at the .02/.05 tables, right? Those nickel tables in the list looked tempting but I was not so monkey tilted as to go that far. The double edged sword of playing low variance is that terrible sessions like I had are relatively contained but it also means that you can't get it back quickly. I started looking for stack roulette opportunities where I can get 3 or 4:1 if I can catch a lucky board and when I did get my money in the poker karma gods spat in my face and said "nope, that's not the way to get your chips back." So time to go back to ABC penny Omaha and grind my roll back up.


2 comments:

  1. Ouch. I like that you’re keeping your current bankroll in the right-hand column, and putting in daily charts. Fascinating stuff.

    I've played all of three .02/.04 PLO tables (one table/day) over the last three days on Cake, and have netted almost $4. Seems like a worthwhile investment in this short-term sample. Watching the players, they definitely seem more willing to gamble than the NLHE players, which means I’m able to take advantage of it, as long as I play tight and go big when I get there.

    Trouble is: The number of players on Cake. I so wish I were playing on FTP, because most likely I can't get more than 4 tables of 6-handed .02/.04 NLHE going at one time. The tables just don't exist. And at 6-handed .02/.04 PLO, it's even worse. Only ONE active table at those stakes. And it's often running 4- or 5-handed. So I've got to start mixing it up, playing PLO and NLHE combined. I'm starting to feel more comfortable in my pre-flop hand selection in PLO, so I can probably bring in one NLHE table along with it. That’s the next step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that was one of the driving forces for going with FTP. I can basically get as many tables as I want. Might have to wait an orbit or two for a spot to open up on tables that are full already but that's a minor issue. Every so often I plug in 33% rakeback into HEM to see where I *would* be if I had that rakeback but I always come back to reminding myself that I chose FTP for the volume of players and larger game selection.

    Nice work on the PLO tables. I haven't published my starting hand requirements yet but will get to that.

    ReplyDelete