Tuesday, March 30, 2010

HOTD: Overplaying quad aces

For some dumb reason I have this compulsion to retain my undefeated streak when dealt AAAA as my hole cards. The first time I was dealt quad aces I was in the SB and simply raised the BB out of the hand for a cool .02 profit...rake free mind you. The second time I picked up AAAA was actually just three days ago. I potted from the button and got folds from one limper, the SB, and the BB netting .05 that time. Well today I picked up AAAA for the third time and decided that I'm going to push this one through. I potted to .11 from the button and got folds from one of the limpers and both blinds but MP hung around to see the flop. Flop is Ts7s2d and I obviously have no draws to go with my hand. MP pots it which puts me all in. I quickly invent a hand that I'm beating...ummm...he has a flush draw, then I call. He turns over 78TQss, a pretty rough hand IMO, but it was good for top two pair which is a lot better than him flopping a set which would leave me drawing dead. Turn is a deuce which counterfeits his two pair. River is a blank and I teach that donk a lesson about playing crap hands...like quad aces as your hole cards. The streak remains alive and that hand now averages over 7 BB each time I play it.

2 comments:

  1. still not drawing dead to bottom and middle set. Saw it happen today runner runner top pair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean counterfeited by top rank full of aces boat? That's right, I hadn't thought about that. Just shows you the power of AA! So not drawing dead but definitely thin.

    ReplyDelete