Sunday, March 21, 2010

Minimal mistakes

I've really been happy with my play as of late and that's not just being ROTty. Even when I've been losing hands but getting the money in good I've been satisfied with the play. Today I ended up making mistakes though the damage from them was minimal.

Got my money in bad on one hand though I would consider this more of a cooler than a mistake. On a flop of AK2 I had top two with nut flush draw. I went with it and ran into second set which boated up on the turn. No ace to save me and I lose that hand. Turns out I was still 40% despite being up against a set so I don't feel bad about being behind on that one.

I get a free card to the turn where I make broadway on a double flush draw board. Pot it to .08 and get two callers. One of the flush draws gets there and there's a bet to me. I'm getting 3:1 on a call because I'm short stacked and I figure there is a chance that the guy is just betting a scare card so I call and he turns over 7c9c for a junky flush but still a flush that beats me. Poor decision there which was due in part to my short stack which improved my bluff catching odds. If the pot were larger that would be an easy fold. In the future, I'll have to watch out for playing hands differently purely because of my stack size.

I have bottom set on a KJT flop. A cautious bet is placed ahead of me. I call. Turn is a jack. He leads, I raise, he calls and shows JT. I actually have some outs with my K but in really bad shape with the underboat. I've seen this before too where there is broadway possible and action only fires up after the board pairs. The nut low boat is just never good in those spots because if he had something like KT or something then you're not getting action after the J pairs. In fact that's probably a fold on the flop since you're drawing just to get in to a trap hand and only have one clean out to quad up.

I call a raise to .07 with AJT8ss and three of us see a flop of JT8. I'm OOP in the SB and inexplicably pot it with my three pair. A raise behind me and I donk call off my remaining stack of .33. Villain shows not just Q9 for the nut straight but he has a K for a redraw to a higher straight and a flush redraw so he's carrying a substantial 72% edge. If I had a set I wouldn't want my side cards to hit the board but for my situation having three pair is better then just two pair so having my side cards hit is good. Turn is 6 in the off suit with gives villain yet another flush draw (I'm jealous of his hand) and he completes his flush on the river but it pairs my 8 giving me his pot.

I flop trips, pot it from EP then get re-potted which I call. Pot and stop? Ignored. Checks down the rest of the way and trips is good enough to beat a missed flush draw.

Made some errors and knew them all at the time. Some bit me but some worked out. Up $1.96 for the session despite several miscues. Trailing 2K hands are very good at $7.09 and $1.09/hour. I would be thrilled at netting out $1/hour after rakeback so getting above that in raw earn rate is welcome news.

No comments:

Post a Comment