Saturday, March 13, 2010

Stop loss needed

Just had a session where I dropped over 200 big blinds before scraping about a third of that back. So what happened?

Hand 22: Had some small skirmishes then hit top set for a healthy pot.
Hand 27: Three way all in pre with AAQ6ss, flop top set, lose $2 pot to a gut shot wheel.
Hand 58: Hit second set of queens, get it on on the flop when I'm 65% three ways, lose to both others making wheels.
Hand 83: AAQ6 outflopped by K5J8ss which catches two random pair.
Hand 87: AA28ss vs bottom two on flop.
Hand 116: Set of sevens run down by runner runner flush.
Hand 118: AA83s runs into trips made by J872ss
Hand 151: My trip aces get outkicked.
Hand 160: Queens overpair to board loses to trip sixes.
174-180: Mini-heater where I catch a string of hands that hold up.
188: I do get 25 BBs back when my aces catch up on the turn to a flopped top set of jacks.

Losing the big pots where I manage to get it all in with AAxx was a bad start to the session. I could tell that I was starting to overplay hands. When I ran aces into trips I could tell that I was losing by the betting action and the only reason there was betting action to be seen was that I hadn't gotten enough in pre to pot commit myself. I also donked off chips when I had my set of sevens find an ugly turn which made a straight possible then an uglier river which put three hearts on the board, either one of which should have kept me from betting OOP. With A343ds on a AAs flop I am literally beating nothing that is giving me action there. This hand was a violation of both getting invested with a BB hand and the pot and stop procedure. I talked myself into proceeding based on my wheel draw outs which might not even be good.

Bad luck followed by bad play. I really need to set up a protocol to stop the bleeding so that I can limit the losses to just bad luck before it turns into bad play. It gets so tempting though to just try to play through it since all the tables are in motion and there is inertia to try to just power through it. Playing it out would be a viable option as long as I continue to play level headed but once I start donking I need to pull the plug. Tough part is to figure out a way to enforce a stop loss system because the line can get gray between run bad and play bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment