Sunday, March 21, 2010

HOTD: Darn nuts

I'm in the BB and am saddled with T642ss in clubs. Flop comes 357 two hearts. So I flop the nuts. Checks to me and I pot it for .08, a fold, button calls, then the SB re-pots. What to do. Have the current nuts, no redraws, a drawer behind me and a check-raiser ahead of me. If folding the nuts is ever the right thing to do then I think this scenario is a textbook example. This can easily be one person with a draw to beat me and one person that I'm chopping with so it's basically like being freerolled upon assuming that I'm chopping at best. It's a BB hand as well which is even more reason to dump it. Normally if I flop the nuts on that board I would either have a higher straight redraw, nut straight with two pair, or if I'm lucky a flush redraw. As is I have none of that and I'm violating the rule about getting invested with a BB hand. I go ahead and shove in the rest and get called both ways. Button has 689J drawing to a higher straight and SB only has 75xx for top two pair. Nobody has the flush redraw. I'm actually in better shape than I had hoped but still am only even money with the wrap above me. Turn is a 4 and I'm drawing dead.

Even though I'm short stacked I still had a full .70 in front of me and was only .10 invested in the hand. I am not yet good enough to escape the trap hand of flopping the nuts but hands like this will make it easier for me to wriggle off the hook the next time. Yes I was priced in and there was nothing wrong with my play in retrospect but I could have been in really bad shape very easily. Based on the action and my stack I can find a better place to get my money in.

5 comments:

  1. You can check call there with the nuts and then jam if a safe turn card comes. Just pretend you are on a drawing hand and you are drawing to a blank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice. That's a good line and it would have saved me a bunch of chips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, calling the re-pot rather than going all-in is the definite wrong move? What’s the harm in slowing up and then putting the rest in when you’re sure you still have the nuts? Or is the possibility that you win the hand against two other unknown hands in that situation completely impossible?

    I mean, chances are, when you get to the river and no flush has completed, the board hasn't paired, and the final two cards to hit the board were a J and an A (for example), if you simply called the re-pot on the flop, then checked the turn (hoping others did as well) and then the blank hits on the river you shove. Since you’re basically pot committed anyway, 75xx calls and maybe even 689J calls at these stakes, and you’ve done what you weren’t able to do on the flop: walk away a winner.

    That’s all hypothetical, of course. You also KNOW (not just hoping, but KNOW) that you’re getting called by re-potting the flop, right? So why not delay the pain. Just call, and lose the minimum when you see the 4 come on the turn.

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha. I typed my long response, and in that time Jason swooped in and said basically the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As it was, I took the lead in the betting on the flop, button calls then SB check/raises so there wasn't a bet to flat call on the flop. And at these stakes you can never be sure that villain isn't just going crazy with two pair like what happened here. I actually wasn't chopping on the flop but that's being ROTty. Overall it's just a thin spot to put an entire buy in.

    ReplyDelete