Monday, April 19, 2010

MMM: Online tells

Mr. Sushi Cowboy,


I'm wondering if you've noticed any tells online. There doesn't seem to be much information to go on since you don't get to see your opponent or anything he does. I've had a bad experience before where some kid noticed one of my tells in my live game.


T. KGB
New York City

Mr. KGB

I would agree that there is less to go on but that doesn't mean there isn't still information available. I am far from an online poker expert but some of the things that I've noticed are the following:

* Set snap raise - Let's say you flop top two pair on a medium dry/wet board then lead out for a pot sized bet. If villain fires back instantly then he more likely has a set than a draw. It's not a big difference in timing but generally speaking, players can't get their chips in fast enough when they flop a set. Even in Omaha with more cards available flopping a set is still uncommon and I guess people just want to vigorously defend their hand.

* Deep stack - People who have a large stack of upwards of two or three times the maximum buy in got that way for a reason. Maybe a lucky double up but more often the people in that position got there from winning more than their fair share of pots which I interpret as not always having it and playing position more often than the average player. If someone has a deep stack I will assume that they are going to be more likely to be floating so I'll call a little lighter and will check after I make my hand to try to induce a bluff.

I'm sure there are way more than just those but those the ones that I've noticed which I find to be the most reliable. In the end it's just playing the numbers and tells can add or subtract a few percentage points to your assessment of the hand since tells are no guarantee. Sometimes you're right and can scoop a pot because of it and sometimes you're wrong. That's the way the cookie crumbles. Hope that helps.

Sushi Cowboy

No comments:

Post a Comment