Wednesday, April 21, 2010

HOTD: Sucker end of the straight

I limp in the cutoff seat with 789Tds, BB pots it to .12, MP calls, I call, button calls. Flop comes JQK rainbow and BB bets .30 into a .50 pot. Fold in front of me and unknown behind me. I have .46 left in my stack and mull it over. BB potted pre-flop so I can definitely give him credit for a pocket pair or a high run. If the flop came TJQ then I'm outta there but a JQK flop would mean threading the needle and it's just a lot harder to flop broadway with those cards. True he could have a dangler T but there is one fewer side card to be a T if he has a pocket pair plus I have one of the Ts as a mini-blocker. So I go ahead and follow my instinct and put my stack in plus I two backdoor flush draws just in case. Button folds and villain shows QQJK for a set and holding blockers to his own outs. Great, I'm 2:1. Turn is a badugi 9. River is a 5. Ship it.

1 comment:

  1. Your goal has inspired me to do the same, become an EV positive player before rakeback. I am currently down $381.23 for the last 43,500 hands. I am ahead in O8, ahead in hold'em with a very small sample size and down in PLO. I have stepped down to $1/$2 with occasional action at $2/$4. With bonuses and rakeback still doing fine, but definitely need to concentrate and focus. I am also eliminating 4 tabling, unless part of the 4 tables are hold'em. Just don't think I am good enough yet for the thinking type game that I try to play.

    ReplyDelete