Sunday, April 4, 2010

Here come the S&G tourneys

New quarter, time to branch out. The next thing I'm going to try is NLHE sit and go tourneys. The plan is to get 100 single table tourneys under my belt to set a baseline earn rate and see how it compares to other ways to build the bankroll and I'm starting with the $2 + .25 tourneys. I skipped over the $1 + .20 tourneys because I am rolled enough to afford the $2 ones and it is only a 12.5% rake instead of 20%.

So far so good. I bought into four of them at the same time and more than broke even. First one done was when I lost a flip of 99 vs a guy who stacked off with AJos. Second one I lost with a dominated as shoved pre-flop. I don't have an issue with either of those. It has been a while since I've played an online S&G so I was still shaking off the rust. The blinds kinda snuck up on me faster than I expected too. Third tourney I got lucky when my KT out flopped AK which doubled me up to a viable stack. Then I weaseled my way into the money before eventually pulling out a first place finish which accomplished my short term goal of at least breaking even since first place pays $9, covering all four buy ins. The last table to finish I had a big hand when my AK dominated a lesser ace for stacks and I took chip lead. I bullied a little but mainly was just looking to avoid confrontations and cruise into the money which I eventually did. Second and third got into a big hand which crippled the third place player with less than 2 BB. I pick up KK and am willing to just check it down to eliminate the player so I flat call on the button. SB looks like he is playing along and he just completes. Not surprisingly the BB shoves and we both call. Flop comes out KQ3 and I'm just looking to knock off third place so we can move up the ladder but the SB fires out into a dry side pot. Well, if it's going to be like that I go ahead and shove and he snap calls with A3 for bottom pair top kicker which is way behind and I end up with about a 6:1 chip lead which I eventually parlay into another first place finish.

So I'm up $9 in tourneys so far. Unfortunately HEM doesn't seem to aggregate total bankroll between cash games and tourneys so I'll just track them separately on the blog. We'll see how the other tourneys go as I grind through them this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment