Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sometimes when you chase you catch what you're after

The session was kind of a blur. Started off reasonably enough just like other sessions. Nothing out of the ordinary. But somewhere along the way it got ugly. Part of the problem came when I accidently called a raise with JJ23 on the .02/.05 table, a hand I wouldn't normally call with on the .01/.02 table. Ooops. Flop comes 435 rainbow. OK, well this might work out anyway. After the original raiser leads out for .10 into a .37 pot I raise him. Flat call. Turn is an ace, hah! He probably thinks his pair is good now. Maybe he even caught his set. He checks I fire, he raises enough to cover my last bit of change. Then he turns over the bad news that he flopped the nut joint with A765ds. That was a buck down the drain. Then I proceeded to run kings into aces twice, once on the big table. Before I know it I'm $4.45 in the hole.

I am running seven or eight tables while trying to figure out if I'm getting coolered or donking chips. Trouble is that I'm getting a lot of playable hands on the tables which is sapping my concentration and perhaps my judgment. So what is the best thing to do when you're stuck? Chase of course. Hello .02/.05 table number two. Having two nickel tables up is a new thing for me and I position them on screen so that I can keep better track of which ones are the expensive ones.

Cue the heater. The cards warm up for me and the board cooperates. I get a chunk back then give some back then I catch kings with a spade draw on the nickel table which I try to push through on an ace high flop. Uncharacteristic. I eventually get all in and am relieved to see that villain only has paired the T from the flop and has a worse spade draw. My hand holds and I climb part way out of the hole. Then on the penny table I pot pre with KK and fire at a low flop. Get called all the way with QQ and my hand holds. The very next hand on the same table I catch AAK7 and do the same thing to the same guy who has AKJJ this time and he doubles me up again to $1.60 which is enough for me to skip out on the table. Then finally I drive my KKxx up against QQxx at the nickel table which is enough for a $3.80 pot which completely digs me out of the pit and leaves a bit on top. I net out .50 from the session plus a bucket of rakeback with the ups and downs that I had. Even though my earn rate was pathetic it feels like a huge victory to get back even after falling so far.

But I know I got lucky. I played recklessly when I was stuck and it worked out this time but it very easily could have drilled me even deeper. I'll consider this a dodged bullet and work on ways to prevent the scenario from happening in the future.

Roller coaster ride illustrated below.


No comments:

Post a Comment