Sunday, February 21, 2010

Getting back on track

I've quickly acted on the lessons learned from this afternoon and have gotten the ship turned around. I've been cutting down on tables and concentrating on each table more instead of just trying to churn through hands to pluck out big pairs. I've also stopped trying to push big pairs through which has been EV+ but also high variance. No more betting on the come for nut flush draws. If someone is betting big I give them credit for actually having a hand at the .02/.05 level. I've put in a couple of sessions, about 100 minutes, 250 hands with over $8.50 to show for it. The new mojo is working and I just need to keep the adjustments in place.

Best example of the change is the biggest hand of the day. I'm in the SB with Ad2dAhQh, aces double suited and both connect at different ends. I've rolled up my $1.75 buy in to $2.16 and min-raise to .10 just to let the BB know that I have a hand and that he can just politely fold or call the fold after I cbet on the flop. But instead he pots me back. I'm getting a feeling where this is going and I realize that I follow through this will be a high variance hand. Even just 24 hours ago I would have jammed and re-potted with AAxx but now I first take a measured look at this and decide that I have about as premium hand as I can get and proceed to re-pot until we get it all in pre-flop. He shows QcQs6d9d so I have his pair and his suits dominated. And as though the Omaha gods were rewarding me, the flop comes JT4 all diamonds. Not only do I flop the stone cold nuts but I have villain down to 1% requiring runners to win. Board pairs fours then I fade a queen to take down a substantial $4.52 pot. The upshot is that if I had just jammed with naked aces and not had a suited diamond villain's crappy diamonds would have taken down that pot instead of me. Lesson learned.

That reversal of direction raises the high water mark to $184.28.

No comments:

Post a Comment