Sunday, May 2, 2010

Road to the WSOP Main Event

FTP has a new series of tournaments called "Steps to the Main Event" which allow you to pick which step you want to come in on in order to get to the main event. Instead of referring to a tourney as a satellite, super-satellite, super-super-satellite, uber-satellite, or whatever, they have different steps (1, 2, 3, etc.) at set buy in levels so you can come in on the level that you want.

I traded in 20 of my accumulated Iron Man medals for a Step 1 ticket which is equivalent to a $3 + .30 buy in. It was an 18 player sit and go. Top four players get a Step 2 ticket, good enough for a an $8 + .70 tourney, while 5th through 10th places get a replacement Step 1 ticket so they can get back in line and ride again. With more than half the field cashing I figured this would be a good way to take a (long) shot at getting to the WSOP.

Third hand overall is the first I played. 44 in the SB. MP raises to 105 (out of 1500) and he has already shown to be aggressive. Maybe he had it, maybe he didn't. Don't know since there was no showdown but raising twice this early I figure he wants to either jump out to a lead early or go home. One caller ahead of me so I call with just the BB behind me who I assume will come along too based on pot odds. He does and I'm already getting more than 3:1 plus big implieds if I hit. Swing and miss though I get a free card on the flop which misses also. Oh well.

Next hand, same guy min-raises. I have KT suited on the button and decide to see a flop since I've got to be good against his range if I hit. Flop come out and the good news is that I hit top two pair, the bad news is that they are all diamonds. Checks around to me and I fire a pot sized bet which is all I'm going to put out there. Either I take it down or I'm done with the hand unless I boat up. Two folds and the original raiser flats. Turn is an offsuit trey, check, check. River pairs the turn card. He checks to me and I check back. He shows Ad3d for the flopped nut flush plus a side order of trip threes. Nice hand/board. That puts me at about 2/3 starting stack. Still room to maneuver but I'm not liking my position. Fold for a couple orbits and end up with J7 in the BB. Flop is A67 rainbow, checks around. Turn is a J for two pair and I pot it after it checks to me but get one caller. River is an A. Ick. Worst card ever but I'm in too deep so I shove and get called by A6 which was ahead the whole way.

Dead end on that road but that will not be the last shot I take at the getting to the WSOP.

No comments:

Post a Comment